In this article, you will learn the general checklist of Beam reinforcement that is practicing on the construction site before the concreting of the slab. The beam is monolithically cast with a slab, so it is important to check the reinforcement of the beam with the slab.
Checklist of Beam Reinforcement Before the construction of Slab
The following are the checklist of Beam Reinforcement that I personally follow on Construction Site.
General Checklist for Beam Reinforcement
- Reinforcement bars shall be free from rust, mud, oil, slurry, loose materials, etc.
- The grade of the steel Bar (Both for Main Reinforcement and Transverse Reinforcement) shall be checked as per Structural drawings.
- Before going to check the reinforcement, identify Grid Name such Along with Grid A, B, C,1, 2.3, etc, and Beam Name such as B1, B2, etc.
Checklist for Top and Bottom Main Bars
- The diameter of the Top and Bottom Main bar of the beam shall be checked.
- Ensure the main reinforcement of the beam shall be passed through the Column.
- Check the horizontal clear distance between the Top main bars and Bottom main Bars. Clear gaps shall be such that vibrators can immerse in order to get proper compaction.
- Check the vertical clear distance between the main bars (Both Top and Bottom) if the Main bars are provided in two layers.
Checklist for Top and Bottom Extra Bars
- The diameter of Top and Bottom Extra Reinforcement of the beam shall be checked.
- The location of Top extra shall be checked.
- Ensure proper position of Bottom extra reinforcement.
- The length of Top extra bars shall be checked as per drawings.
- Length of top extra bars beyond the column shall also be checked as per structural drawings.
- The length of the bottom extra reinforcement shall be measured.
- Check the vertical clear distance between the top Main bars and Top extra bar. To maintain the gap, the Pin bar is placed.
- Make sure that the diameter of the Pin bar or Spacer shall be greater than the size or aggregate that is used for concrete.
Checklist for Stirrups
- The diameter of the stirrups shall be checked.
- Check the spacing between the stirrups near the support as well as mid-span of the entire beam.
- The end of the stirrups or hook shall be at 135 degrees.
- Extra stirrups shall be provided at the junction of beams.
The following practices is done on-site to check the spacing between the stirrups thought the beam.
- First, find the spacing between stirrups from the drawings. (Let’s say 4 inches).
- Measure the length of Main bars from face up to 6 feet (let’s say).
- Find the Number of stirrups.
- Number of stirrups = Length/Spacing +1
- = 6 x 12/4+1 = 19 Nos.
- Now check the number of stirrups. IF the number of stirrups is matching with 19 till 6 feet length, then the spacing between the stirrups is correct.
Checklist for Cover Block
- Check the Thickness of the cover block as per drawings given by Structural Consultants.
- The grade of the concrete cover block shall be the same as of Grade of concrete.
- Cover blocks shall be placed on the bottom of beams and Sides of beams.
- Make sure that the cover blocks shall not be broken.
- Ensure the position of the cover blocks is intact. It should not get disturbed while concreting of the slab.
- Cover Block shall be placed below between the intersection of Main bars and Stirrups.
- It should be located away from each other by 1 m along the bottom of the Beam formwork.
- Make sure that Reinforcement shall not touch the formwork. If so cover block shall be placed immediately.
Checklist for Lapping
- The position of Lapping of the Top Main bar shall be checked as per structural drawings.
- The position of the Lapping of the Bottom Main bar shall also be checked as per structural drawings.
- Proper binding of Lapped bars shall be checked.
- Bottom bars Lapping should not be placed at the middle span of the beam. It is because of the maximum bending moment.
- Top Main lapping should not be placed near the support of the beam. It is because of the maximum shear force.
- Make sure the lap should be placed in a staggered manner.
- Lap length shall be checked as per drawings.
- Proper binding of laps in the beam shall be checked.
Checklist for development length
- Measure the development length of Top Main reinforcement.
- Make sure that the Main bars shall be extending into the columns.
- Development length of Top Extra and Bottom Main bars (L shape reinforcement) shall be checked.
Checklist for Bar Binding
- Ensure the proper binding of reinforcement at the junction of main bars and stirrups.
- Bottom extra and Top extra shall be bind properly using binding wire.
- The binding wire should not be loose or remove from steel bars while concreting.
- Check that oil should not come in contact with the surface of Reinforcement.
- Temporary ties in column reinforcement shall be provided.
Checklist for dowel Bars
- Dowel bars shall be provided for a future extension for the upper story column.
- Check the reinforcement shall be left for the upper floor staircase or not.
- Ensure the reinforcement shall be left for balconies.
- Check the diameter of the dowels bars.
- Check the length of dowel bars as per approved drawings.
- Dowel bars of the beam shall be checked.