Formwork is a temporary structure that is used to shape and support the concrete to achieve sufficient strength. Wooden, steel, Plastics, aluminum formworks are the most common formwork material. In this article, I have explained a checklist that is generally done by the civil site engineer on construction for beam and slab formwork.
Checklist of Slab and Beam Formwork
General Checklist of formwork
- Formwork plates shall be uniform in the surface. Uneven surface in the shuttering board shall not be allowed.
- Wooden shuttering shall be properly cleaned and free form concrete particles if it is used formwork
- The shuttering plate shall be rigid, firm, and durable so that it can carry movement load.
Checklist of Slab Formwork
- The size of the formwork of each slab panel must be checked as per Approved drawings.
- Check the Slope and level of formwork of each slab panel.
- Shuttering oil shall be used on shuttering plates in order to remove the formwork after concrete gets strength.
- Check the diagonal of slab formworks.
- Check that vertical formwork shall be used along all the edges of the slab, staircase void, internal voids, etc.
- All the shuttering gaps shall be properly sealed or closed so that there is no flow of slurry through those gaps.
- The entire gap shall be made leakage proof by masking tape.
- Before concreting of the slab, shuttering gaps such as beam-slab junction, beam junction, columns, etc shall be supervised.
- Mark the thickness level of the slab on each and every column.
- Water tightness shall be done near column junctions.
- The side plank of the slab along the periphery has to be supervised.
- Slab shuttering board should be supported by Wooden batten also called Chavis at an interval of 2 feet.
- Ensure the steel props shall be tightened properly.
- Check the sizes of wooden props, plumb, and soundness.
- Runner spacing for slab formwork shall not be more than 1 feet.
- Butt spliced on wooden props shall not be allowed.
- Check the nut-bolt/shuttering clip is properly tightened or not.
Checklist of beam Formwork
- Line, Level of the bottom of the beam formwork has to be checked.
- Vertical alignment or plumb, line of sides of beam formwork shall be properly checked.
- Measure the length of beam formwork as per structural beam plan or Architectural drawings.
- Check the width of the beam bottom plank as per drawings.
- Joints of bottom beam formwork must have to checked.
- Beam bottom Vertical props or plank should be straight.
- Vertical proper should not overlap or jointed.
- Placing of vertical props on bricks or blocks shall be avoided.
- Vertical props subjected to inclined must be avoided.
- M.S. props must be used when staging height is more than 12 feet.
- The maximum horizontal distance between the two vertical props shall be 2 feet to 3 feet.
- At the junction of beam and column, shuttering shall be in plumb and has no voids.
- All the vertical props must have wedges and cross bracing.